Our hearts were broken and we were left devastated when the news came out that Grammy Award Winner Amy Winehouse had passed away at her home in Camden Town- London, England. The news came to a surprise, especially since Amy had been doing much better than her recent, toxic years. She had been performing more, preparing a duet with her idol Tony Bennett, and getting ready to tour. Now, if any of you remember the stylish beehive and that soulful, jazzy voice, than you would be so much more excited to read into these very interesting facts about Amy and her short-lived yet free spirited life, beyond the troubles. The point is to show who she truly was and defy how the media showed her. Read on and gain a better insight of her life.
1. Amy’s father Mitchell Winehouse is a Jazz singer and a former taxi cab driver
2. A bunch of Amy’s uncles on her mother’s side were also famous jazz musicians. Jazz truly does run in the Winehouse family.
3. One of Amy’s biggest inspirations aside from Jazz artists and Doo-Wop sensations was the hit songwriter Carole King. She even made her own version of Carole’s “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow”, and it truly embellishes the beauty of the song itself. Give it a listen!
4. Amy always wanted to be a rollerskating waitress. Yes. That’s right. She had unique twists on musical dreams and aspirations.
5. She had spent two years at the Sylvia Young Theater School and was ultimately kicked out at fourteen for piercing her nose and having a lazy sense of dedication to the classes. Ultimately, she quit school all together.