In 2007, all Harry Potter novels were completed and in 2011 the movie adaptations of those great books have wrapped up but the story hasn’t even thought of stopping there or slowing down. A stage play called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, some new short stories, theme parks and even the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a brand new spin-off film series that started in November last year. They have all been released in the past six years and that is not all. There is a plan for more in the future, next seven years to be exact when a fifth and final installment of Fantastic Beasts is currently being scheduled to drop. If we would believe the rumors, all of this could just be an introduction for some really big development.
Harry Potter and the Cursed Child had its premiere on July 30, 2016, at the Palace Theater in London and even before that, there were some speculations that the holder of the Harry Potter cinematic rights, Warner Bros., might be interested in converting this play into a big screen version. Today, we maybe have the biggest piece of evidence yet of this actually happening.
Jim Hill, a historian and a legendary theme park journalist has contacts at Universal and Disney and the Unofficial Universal Orlando Podcast made him the guest of honor last week to talk about future developments of Universal Orlando Resort. When the conversation turned to Harry Potter, Hill mentioned an apparent detail of the Warners and NBCUniversal’s recent contact which grants exclusive broadcast rights to NBCU’s television channels for the Fantastic Beasts and all Harry Potter movies starting on July 1, 2018. Hill said:” They not only have Potter, they have Fantastic Beasts and, supposedly, if you drill down into the language of the deal, they also have – when they’re finally made – the trilogy of movies that will be based on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.
Later in the conversation, Hill said that 2026, two years after the sub-franchise Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is completed, will be the release date for the first movie. He explained:” I have heard that Warner Bros. has actually had conversations with Emma Watson, with Rupert Grint, and, of course, Daniel Radcliffe about Cursed Child, ‘cause they want this to be, for lack of a better term, Harry Potter: The Force Awakens. They want this trilogy of movies to have the actors that we know and love from the original films, that we watched grow up, as adults. And, of course, they’re hiring a bunch of new, younger actors to play their children with the hope that, if we can lean on J.K. Rowling, maybe there’ll be The Cursed Adolescent.”
Some of the first hints of making a trilogy from the stage play, came out last summer. Also, at that time, there was the report that Warners was courting Daniel Radcliffe to be in the movies. But, all of that came to nothing when the studio quickly denied everything, stating that there were “no plans” of doing this.
In the end, who knows? There is still a lot of time to see what happens.