Mark the calendar or set your app reminder for this Saturday September 24, 2016. Fans of art and history can enjoy a free treat on the 12th Annual Smithsonian Museum Day Live! You can visit their website, pick a museum and download two passes for FREE!
When Smithsonian started this annual event, there were only 200 who opened their doors. Now you can choose over 1200 participating museums all over United States! Among the new participants is the newest one in D.C., the National Museum of African American History and Culture. Read more about this new museum from our post.
Unsure where to go? Here are some of the amazing art museums you can visit.
- Albright-Knox Art Gallery, New York – Spend the afternoon with modern and contemporary art exhibits in this historical museum. Since 1862, this gallery housed a wide variety of art collections ranging from pop art, abstract expressionism and impressionistic styles.
- Spellman Museum of Stamps & Postal History, Massachusetts – Do you want to see something different other than framed artworks? This museum continued the tradition of stamp collecting for the past 56 years.
- Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Texas – Also known as The Modern, this museum maintains permanent and new collections from artworks of 1970’s and beyond. This includes sculptures, paintings, cartoons, photographs and videos.
- Museum of the City of New York – Visiting New York this weekend? Know more about the city’s distinct character by exploring local artworks in Museum of the City of New York. Exhibits connect the diverse culture around the city from its past, present and towards its future. Take a look at the current exhibits in their website.
- Aerospace Museum of California – Want to see something different, get your Smithsonian Museum Day Live passes for the best aviation exhibit in Sacramento. This isn’t just for nerds and adults, as there are exhibits ranging from small scale models to full scale jet fighters and Top Gun’ F-14.Kids and adults can also attend a short Flight Zone laboratory session, wherein you can hands-on flight simulation.
- Cooper Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum in New York – This Smithsonian institution has an amazing collection that spans more than three centuries of history. You can find almost every imaginable thing you’ll expect from a museum, and more. The exhibits fo from the weird and exotic, old and new, fragile and precious. There are collections from US and other countries, prototypes from designers and architects from both the past and present.
Click here to be directed to Smithsonian Museum Day Live. You need to fill up the form with your name, email and then select the museum you want free passes with. Some museums may require you printout the tickets, some can allow access by showing the ticket in your mobile. Check the individual museum pages for more info on their opening times and current exhibits.